Whether you are a new car owner or have been driving for years there are certain habits that must come with riding an automobile. The list to look out from goes on from car maintenance to regular check-ups including anything new on the streets. One of the most important is making sure that you are prepared when an auto accident happens.
Things You Should Prepare For
Accidents can take place at any time and any place – and it happens very quickly. Get your act together. Save your time and energy by making sure you have what you need in this situation.
Stack your glove compartment
Here, you can keep the basic things which are essential for you to have:
- Pen and paper – have a list of all the information you need to get from the other driver and the police
- Camera – if your phone cannot do the work, it is best to keep a camera handy to take pictures of the accident and document the damages.
- Card with medical information of you and your passengers just in case everyone loses consciousness
- Insurance information – company, contact details, and policy number
What to Do When an Accident Happens
Even the most careful drivers can get into an accident. It can leave you in a state of panic or shock, although there are certain things you must never forget to do when an accident happens.
- Check if everyone is OK. If you, your passenger/s, anyone from the other car, or pedestrians are injured, call for an ambulance immediately. Also, check your car’s condition and move it to the side of the road if needed.
- Call the police. This is very important since they will keep an official record of the accident. There are incident reports for minor accidents. They will be the ones to help you with establishing legal liabilities if the accident is serious.
- Contact your insurance provider. They will inform you of the things especially the information you need and the steps you have to do for your insurance.
- Go to an auto repair shop you trust. It is important that you know an auto shop that can do your car collision repairs excellently at the right price. Look for shops which are convenient for you to go to.
Unfortunately, road accidents are inevitable and it takes a whole community to make an effort to minimize them. However, this shouldn’t discourage you from driving. Just make sure to be prepared of all possible consequences and make sure to have a reliable auto repair or collision company on call.
Written by Marc Laferierre, owner of Dents Unlimited. Dents Unlimited is the go to auto shop for collision repair in Columbia, MO.