Some Printing Terms You Should Know About Before Having Your Banner Printed

In many different business sectors, there are a variety of terms and jargon that are often used. The printing industry is no different, especially when we are talking about printing banners, leaflets, flyers, brochures, and other printed promotional materials that can help your business get the attention it needs.

If you are planning to have a banner, brochure, or leaflet printed by a professional printing service, then it would be in your best interest to get to know some important terms often used. This way, you can make a better and more informed decision regarding the best type of design or print according to your requirements.

A list of important terms used in printing that you should know about

Fold forma

A fold format is just what its name implies – it is the way the leaflet, flyer, or brochure will be folded. When it comes to fold format, the choices are pretty simple; all you have to do is choose between several basic folds, such as four-page folds, six-page folds, gate folds, concertina folds, and roll folds. The fold you choose can determine the readability of your brochure or flyer, and it can also contribute to how your message is delivered. Additionally, the way your brochure or flyer is folded can also contribute to the enhancement of your graphics and images.

Uncoated – and coated – paper

When having printed advertising material done, you may also be asked whether you would like your banner, leaflet, or brochure to be printed in uncoated or coated paper. What you should know is that coated paper is often a type of paper which has undergone treatment with various chemicals, or paper which is covered by a layer on one side or both sides. When paper is coated, it can become gloss, matt, dull, or silk. These coatings have different ways of reflecting light, so you have to think about this as well.

Paper which is uncoated, on the other hand, is, simply put, the ‘raw’ paper in its pure and most natural form. This type of paper can absorb more ink, which can make images appear more vague or blurry. This type of blurry image may be welcomed by some businesses, however, such as vintage and antique shops, as it gives the brochure or banner a more rustic look.

Blank proof and print proof

 A blank proof (also known as a dummy copy) is simply a sampling of the stocks of paper that a printing service can send out so you can decide which type of paper is ideal for your requirements. A print proof, on the other hand, is one sample of a planned print run. It will be sent to you as a customer in order for you to see your design on the paper that you have chosen.

 Whether you would like one single roller banner, a series of brochures or flyers, business cards, or more, it always pays to know what you are looking for and what you should expect.

Exit mobile version