Family road trips can provide us with immense experience and we will be able to spend wonderful vacation time with our children. Unfortunately, the trip can also be very aggravating for both parents and children. Many children are active and they can get restless and bored if we don’t provide them with proper entertainment. Here are things that we should do to keep children entertained during a trip:
- Break up the whole trips into smaller sections: It should be possible to limit the amount of time we spend on the road. As an example, a session of driving shouldn’t be more than 3 hours. If we drive for 9 hours in one day, we can break up the daily trip into 3 sections. It means that, the family has a couple of opportunities to stop and enjoy the sceneries during the trip. This is also a good time for lunch and eating snacks. In general, it is better to stop before we get too tired.
- Pack the bare minimum for the trip: If we can buy something along the trip and at the destination area, we shouldn’t bring it from home. This should allow us to bring less stuff inside the car and children can be better entertained during the trip. Active children will need much more space inside the car.
- Make compromises before the trip: It is a bad thing if children start to argue about seating arrangement when the trip has started. Make an agreement about where children should sit during the duration of the trip. They may change seat alternately during the trip, so children are able to learn to share something.
- Stop whenever possible: Bathroom breaks are not the only time we stop at specific rest areas. This should also be a good way for the whole family to stretch their legs and children would love the opportunity to run around the place. Children need to expend their excess energy and often, if we allow children to get tired of playing; they will be quieter and sleep more during the trip. The most important thing is to try breaking the monotony that is often associated with long road trips.
- Cultivate knowledge: Children should be instructed about how knowledge can be entertaining for them. As an example, parents can show them different types of road plates. They could also be educated about the meaning of road signs and proper driving etiquettes. Although it may still years away before they can drive, the basic knowledge on driving can be helpful later in life.
- Sing along: Children love to sing a long and we should make sure to transfer enough kids’ favourite songs in the car stereo system. The whole family can sing along in karaoke style. We could also purchase appropriate CDs on the trip and play them too. This should be a really wonderful way to keep children fully entertained.