The decision to undertake the divorce proceedings is emotionally and mentally draining. It may be your spouse who has initiated the proceeding or you may decide to go for a divorce due to certain difficulties in your married life. Irrespective of the situation, hiring a divorce attorney to handle your divorce proceedings could be instrumental in getting separated with minimal damage.
The need of a Divorce Lawyer
There are many factors that can contribute to the decision of hiring a lawyer for your divorce such as
- The personalities of both the parties or spouses
- Monetary decision that’s involved
- Whether both the parties are able to settle on the problems pertaining the divorce settlement that may arise during the proceedings
- The dependability of both the parties in the court to settle their differences etc.
Usually, it’s not possible to hire a common divorce lawyer due to the ethical rule that is mandatorily followed by the lawyers. There are certain scenarios when the couple can hire a common attorney for the divorce such as
- The spouses are told and they understand that the lawyer will not be representing both of them to the best of his capacity.
- The spouses agree in writing to being represented by a single attorney.
- The role of an attorney is just to draft the paperwork.
- The major issues are agreed upon and the spouses are confident that they can resolve the minor issues by themselves.
Irrespective of above scenarios if there comes the point where the attorney is unable to function as a joint attorney, he may either transfer to a single client or he can transfer both the clients to another attorney.
Benefits of not Hiring an Attorney
Various benefits of not hiring an attorney for divorce are
- It saves cost of hiring an attorney
- If you are knowledgeable about the legal aspects of divorce, then you can retain greater control of your case and its direction
- You can prevent the possibility of your case being dragged due to certain action on the part of attorney
- You may have a high level of awareness regarding the case since you will be directly involved in dealing with your spouse’s attorney and the court officials
Benefits of Hiring an Attorney
- A lawyer knows about the legality of the divorce cases and he remains updated on any changes in law pertaining to your jurisdiction that will otherwise take you a lot of time to understand and manage.
- Hiring an attorney to represent you in divorce proceeding helps in reducing the stress levels
- A divorce lawyer will not have an emotional bias towards the case thus his case handling will be entirely professional and focused on your benefit.
- Your lawyer knows the nuances of legal aspects of divorce so he can efficiently handle various aspects of your divorce like child custody, property division,
Hiring a professional to handle your case is instrumental in safeguarding your interests and closing the divorce proceedingswith minimal fuss or damage. The level of stress you have to take and the time you have to invest in handling your divorce is a major motivator of hiring a lawyer to handle your divorce.